Monday, 23 May 2011

Newton Street Vintage

Newton Street Vintage jacket

Etsy is a worldwide online market established 2005 with a physical office in Brooklyn, in New York, in the United States of America. It's a better eBay for handmade and vintage items.

Newton Street Vintage is an Etsy shop established late last year. Zach, the owner, lives in Cambridge, in Massachusetts, in the United States of America, a style aficionado in the right place.

I've mentioned how Steve McQueen style overlaps with Ivy style. I've moaned about how difficult it is to get hold of natural Ivy-style jackets and how antique is the way to go. Well, Newton Street Vintage is an impeccable source of relevant jackets and other Ivy items.

Zach's interest in clothes began with vintage denim and worked from there to other antique bits. Newton Street Vintage is refreshingly accessible, and Zach's systematic approach to his interest brings an authority that appeals to expert and novice. He told me something about his love of detail:
When I was a kid, I loved fighter planes and would buy actual manuals to learn the parts of planes. Same thing happened when I got into tailoring. Why Ivy? I grew up on the East Coast and my dad, who was in his 20s in the early 1960s, wore Brooks Brothers, so it was always just kind of around. I didn't learn that it was called Ivy until later. So just by needing to know what I specifically wanted, I learned about terms like lapped seam or gorge.

I'm also learning to tailor. I've made shirts, working on my first trousers now, and I've had success designing my own suits. I didn't sew them, I used a manufacturer, but I designed and sourced the raw materials.
The Cincinnati Kid

The jacket that McQueen wears in Bullitt is an unusual combination of Ivy and English styles. Ivy, as I've said, is traditionally a centre back vent rather than one to each side. However, a traditional Ivy style jacket, even without a ticket pocket and elbow patches, still gets you closer to the actual Bullitt jacket than, say, the one from Grand Prix Legends and The King Of Cool. You get closer to Steve McQueen style even if the colour is, say, grey. (See above picture of Steve in The Cincinnati Kid with pretty lady Ann-Margret.) The difference, as I've noted, is structure.

McQueen, Shoreditch

One more thing and on a different note: McQueen is a themed bar, lounge and restaurant in glittering London's Shoreditch area. The menu takes inspiration from the Midwest, which means steaks and burgers, of course, but there's also lobster and other seafood and - popular in McQueen's birthplace of Indiana - Cajun. Sounds tasty to me, but my overall default position on things like this is, obviously, cantankerous. The chesterfields, warm light and polished wood help create the kind of setting in which McQueen was often photographed, though, and reports suggest the place blends the easily spoilt mixture of McQueen theme and Hoxton hipster well. I'll find out soon.

One more, er, one more thing, again on a different note: if you buy through the Amazon Steve McQueen Style shops (link at top right), the prices and conditions are the same as if you buy from Amazon in general but you support this site. Likewise, you support this site if you click the Google advertisement (bottom right).

3 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgqR5uopVPQ&feature=channel_video_title

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking to source a similar coat for toddlers. I have my 4 year old dressing like Steve Mcqueen ( Clark's desert boots, navy blue harrington jacket, shawl cardigans, etc). However, I want the "Bullit" look for him. It would be awesome if someone had a resource on Steve Mcqueen style for youngsters.

    ReplyDelete