Friday, 29 July 2011

Bullitt Boots

Common People Elliot

A brief, unexpected return.

Common People is a new company, about which Steve McQueen Style knows next to nothing. It makes shoes. It makes a brown suede boot in the playboy style called the Elliot.



Where this Common People boot is known at all, it's more as the Steve McQueen than the Elliot. It looks like the closest version of the Bullitt boot available, closer than the Sanders playboy. The Common People boot is softer than the Sanders & Sanders, the crepe sole thinner.

Common People Elliot boots are well over £100 ordinarily. Birmingham and online clothes shop Autograph sells a few sizes for £60 with postage. (They're going fast.)

*

If I can be bothered and have the time, by the way, I might renovate Steve McQueen Style. I want to make things ultimately easier to find, and I want to take away some of the anger and madness. This in turn might anger the regular reader (note singular) at least in the short term, but I've warned you. Yes, you.

4 comments:

  1. What angers me is this company called "common people" is selling boots for £100+ in a style made famous by a man who was very much about the "common people." From what I have read, Steve Mcqueen did most of his shopping at K-mart..and I think if he were here today he'd have long beat me to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Common People Boots are poor quality in my opinion, the crepe doesn't stay attached to the sides of the shoe. They do look good in the photos but not in reality. The Sanders boots are much better quality but far too pointy so the search continues...I live in hope of the Huttons being remade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous #1: I'd say Steve McQueen was somewhat, rather than very much, about the common man in terms of clothes and other things. He did apparently shop at K-Mart, but he also wore (and bought) plenty of expensive stuff. My personal view is that I dislike the idea of people buying cheap or expensive crap. I'd say the ideal is to spend money only on a few decent things. Anonymous #2: the Sanders are certainly more substantial, which helps them look less like the Bullitt boots. (They're softer, as I say, the sole thinner. They're instantly more comfortable.) My Elliots have held up fine so far. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fucked up that comment. It's unclear. The bit in brackets is about the Common People boots.

    ReplyDelete